Skip to main content

Starting up!

Hey there Everyone!

Time sure has ran quite passed, and GSoC has finally started! I've been stumped with exams, and will be for a few weeks still, but please gear up to join me on my adventure with GSoC 2017. While still a bit behind with all this schoolwork, I'm determined to finish and catch up ASAP. So much to do and see!
Last years SOCIS I had quite a blast with meeting Marble, you can read all about that over here, but this year shall come with its own challenges as we are tasked to update the Marble Maps UI.

Marble Virtual Globe is an open-source globe that allows users to explore  a 3D model of Earth, Mars, Venus, and the Moon, with a wide-variety of maps ranging from political to topographic. This year we will be focusing on its Android version, Marble Maps, and in my case, I am tasked with tidying up the UI, adding features and making sure it's all up to Material Design standards!

Some images of the current Marble Maps interface.

In the following posts I shall detail the current state of Marble Maps compared to other map applications available to Android users. By contrasting and comparing we'll see exactly where we need to brush up our application.

And just to keep excitement up, here are a few mock-ups of future design touch ups and features!

A new sidebar concept and a redesigned Detail View concept.

Concept images for colored Bookmark features. Bookmarks currently use an Up and Down arrows for sorting, which could be replaced with a simple Drag & Drop button. Colors are chosen from Material Colors.

Let's all have a great summer together! I can't wait so I'll be off studying so I can much as I can so I can focus as soon as possible! Please wish me luck so I can finish quickly, and tune in next post for the first tasks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Compare and Contrast - Marble Maps and other Map applications

Still knee-deep in exam territory but our dreams fly high ahead! Let's take a moment to compare Marble Maps to some of the other available Android Map applications. This will help us find places that need some polish, and features that we need to add. So without further ado, Google Maps - Maps.Me - Marble Maps Google Maps Routes have a drag & drop system for managing the order of the locations. A menu has frequently used options such as a quick button for reversing the order, as well as route options. Adding a stop can be done with through the menu, not just by clicking on the map. The side bar has several options, including Tips and Tricks under which a contribution option can be found, as well as a Send feedback option which is great for user made reports. Help menu offers a forum of problems with most frequent ones at the top. Maps.Me Has an  Introduction  that showcases some of the main features. Uses  Empty States  pattern when sh

My experiences with Summer of Code 2017

How quickly the summer ran away, in a wild mix of fun, frustration, development, and success! It seems like just yesterday that I received news of working with Marble in the summer, yet now September quickly approaches, and it’s time to look back on all our experiences this summer. This year hasn’t been my first foray into contributing open-source projects, I’ve had the pleasure of working with Marble under last year as well. However this year has come with it’s own set of challenges and I’m proud to have taken part in such a great experience, built up by fantastic mentors and a lovely community who helped me along the way. But let’s get to the recap, this year's tale, from beginning to end, how the summer went! This years project was focused on Marbles Android version, Marble Maps, and my task was redesigning the UI, adding features and making sure it's all up to Material Design standards! The summer began with my work on Marbles historical map viewing app, Behaim Globe

Moving forward! - Dialing phones, and designs featuring Kirigami

Hello everyone, it's been all-too-long! I am proud to announce the end of the semester! Exams are finally all done, but that only means the real fun can start. And so many things to come and do! I'm also happy to announce one of the first new features! Marble Maps now supports in-app phone calls! If you're browsing the map, and come across a nice looking shop, you can easily access their phone number, and give them a call right there! This task has been very useful to establish a lot of the inner workings, and also gave insight to a lot of UI elements that could be structured differently. But with that question of layouts and design decisions, came the question of what tools to use to achieve them. On that note: Behaim Globe with Kirigami Kirigami is a QtQuick based components set that brings a lot of useful reusable components to QtQuick UI's. Among these we're easy to create menus, unit based scaling , drawers and all sorts of navigation options. It w